YouTube: A Choral Goldmine

Tuesday, June 23, 2015


I apologise for the back-to-back choral posts, but this place has been on a hiatus for long enough. If no one will post, then I shall. And it will be about the incandescent beauty of voices in unison. 

So, where to begin but on YouTube once more. As a subscriber of the Oxford Union addresses, I was thrilled when I saw the above video in my feed. Eric Whitacre is one of the doyens of today's choral scene, and in my opinion, the most easy on the eye. His trademark cluster chords, as mentioned in his address, are infamous in choral circles, and can put one into a vocal-induced coma. 

I still remember my first Whitacre piece. It was an SSA composition called She Weeps Over Rahoon, adapted from the poetry of James Joyce. When mine ears did hear it I was transfixed. The ending is particularly haunting. Choristers either sing in pianissimo or whisper the words at varying tempos, mimicking the effect of rain aurally. Have a listen to the recording for reference.




Perhaps what Whitacre is most known for is his 'Virtual Choir', which started as a small project to sync the recorded voices of individuals across the globe, essentially forming a choir. It's currently in it's fourth version, I believe with over a thousand singers from 100 different countries. I can't even find the words to describe how infinitely sacred and transcendent this experience is. My eyes and ears are peeled for any news of a new version because hell yeah I'd send in my recording. Anyway, this is the inaugural Virtual Choir singing Lux Aurumque or 'Light and Gold'.



Okay, I have to include one more video just because. Really though, if I had to pick a piece that I'd like to sing as part of a future VC, I'd pick the one below. For sheer creativity, chording, effects, text and difficulty, I'd really want to push myself, though I'd probably still suck haha. You have to listen to this though. The dissonant cluster chords send literal chills down my body, and from 6:12 into the video, I think I reached nirvana. 





Moving on, it is burdened on me to share the following pieces of incredible music. I can't believe I totally forgot about them in my previous a cappella post. I totally slapped myself with a cactus for that. The first video was a serendipitous find in 2014, and my socks, shoes, all other forms of bodily garments were utterly blown off. I think half the views are by me because this medley is one of the most amazing things in the history of mankind.

Introducing The Magic of Voices and their Fly Medley. The arrangement is so sick. The Altos. My goodness. Why nobody ever gives credit to them is a mystery. Yes, I'm a Soprano, but I was an Alto for a while when I first joined choir. I'm telling you, without the Alto part in the piece, it wouldn't hit the sweet spot. And can we just talk about the lady in green. She slays. I believe her name is Jackie Stressman, and I can't even. It's easy to blast a high note at maximum volume, but giving the same note at a softer level requires a heck load of technique and control. And hell yeah can she sustain. I know good breathing technique when I see hear it.

Okay, enough of my yakking. Just listen. And bonus points if you know where ALL of the songs are from without reference. Your childhood is awesome.


 

Another video for your enjoyment. Featuring an absolutely stunning Alto solo. I would trade my High Cs for that glorious range. And the chords are sealed as tight as above. Jackie (Lady in yellow) showing us how it's done once again. 


I swear, just one more video and I'm out. This version of Once Upon A Dream/I Wonder is a cut above the rest. I'm never listening to Lana Del Rey's rendition ever again, as much as she's pretty awesome herself. Jackie Stressman again gets a lot of love for her sublime pipes and effortless ending, but it's nice to see the other Soprano get some credit as well. And Tiffany Coburn's solo is so lovely. I want to sing like her. If they made a Disney princess with her voice, instead of the typically nasally sound they go with, she would seriously be my favourite. Her swelling crescendo at 2:18 is magnificently rich and the switch at 1:19 is so seamless and clean that I got a 'toner' (more bonus points for that reference). 



Woe unto me for forgetting about such greatness. Three videos featured and blog publicity should suffice as atonement. Well, that's all for now. Really, this post was made to fill the void of procrastination that has befallen this blog. But you know me, I had to show some love for the unsung heroes (I think I'll fine myself if I come up with any more puns) of a more obscure music scene. Maybe you should show them some love too. Go to YouTube and double each of the video's view count.

-Jac

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts